Thursday, January 19, 2012

# family dinners # fitness

Chinese Vegetable and Chicken Dish



The past 2 days I've shared a breakfast and lunch loaded with fresh fruits and vegetables. Today I'm sharing a dinner loaded with fresh vegetables. It feels like the right thing to do.

If you like Chinese food, this meal will not disappoint. My 1-year old and 3-year old like this meal too. I love recipes that the whole family enjoys.

This recipe is a little long but it's pretty simple. You can also make most of this ahead of time and throw it together last minute for ultimate freshness.

Ok, let's do this!

Here is what you will need:

Chicken Marinade:
2 breasts of chicken
2 Tbsp. oil
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
2 Tbsp. corn starch
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
3 drops sesame oil
Tabasco or hot sauce (optional)

1 clove garlic (chopped)
1-2 Tbsp. oil

Vegetables of choice:
snow peas
mushrooms
carrots
broccoli
water chestnuts
red peppers
bok choy
bean sprouts
etc.

Vegetable Sauce: (double this if you have A LOT of veggies)
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
2/3 cup water
1 tsp. chicken broth bouillon granules (or 1 mashed bouillon cube)
2 tsp. oyster sauce


Directions:

1) Prepare marinade in a small bowl.


2) Cut up chicken into bite-sized pieces and add to marinade. (This can be done ahead of time or last minute. The chicken does not need to marinade long. I like to have it marinade for a couple of hours just because I like the flavors to soak a little bit).


3) Cut up your veggies of choice into bite-sized pieces. I used mushrooms, carrots, broccoli, bok choy, red pepper, and water chestnuts this time. I like A LOT of veggies.


4) Prepare vegetable sauce in a small bowl. (I doubled the recipe because I had A LOT of veggies AND I like to have some extra sauce for my rice.)

It will look like this. Not everything will dissolve and that's okay. I used a mashed bouillon cube since I didn't have the granules on hand.


5) Heat 1-2 Tbsp. of vegetable oil and chopped clove of garlic in a skillet. Do not burn the garlic. Once heated, add the chicken and cook all the way through. Remove cooked chicken and set aside.


6) Pour all your vegetables into the hot skillet. Add about 3 tablespoons of water and cover with a lid to steam your veggies. Steam until tender.


7) Pour your prepared vegetable sauce over your veggies. Add chicken back into the pan. Cook until sauce is thickened.


8) Serve over rice and ENJOY!


**As a side note, Trader Joe's Orange Chicken makes a delicious side dish.

This post is part of The Shady Porch Rock 'N' Share. To see more fun projects from the blogosphere, visit The Shady Porch!

1 comment:

  1. Yum, this look so good! Great pics! So glad you shared it!

    ReplyDelete

Follow us @justonemomtrying

Instagram

Follow Us